Mark is highly experienced in difficult high profile and high value cases as well as cases with vulnerable clients. He prides himself on being a friendly, approachable and very patient barrister - neccesary when dealing with these cases. He remains aware of the anxiety caused to clients by the proceedings / dispute and is conscious of the need to save costs as far as possible, sometimes by thinking out of the box.
Mark's practice sits predominantly across South and West Wales and into border counties in England.
He is Head of the Education Team and sits across Wales conducting Tribunal Hearings.
Mark is also fully qualified to carry out advocacy work on a direct access basis.
Notable and Reported cases
- Mark has recently undertaken cases involving shaken babies, factitious illness (Munchausen by proxy) and worked for the Official Solicitor on behalf of mentally handicapped clients and cases involving the removal of children from the jurisdiction. He also undertakes financial cases, usually, of higher value, involving farms, businesses, and trust of land claims. He also deals with inheritance act claims and claims for financial provision for children pursuant to schedule 1, section 15 of the Children Act 1989.
- Mark has also conducted judicial reviews and permanent exclusion appeals in the field of education and applications to displace nearest relative under the Mental Health Act.
- Mark is qualified for advocacy work.
Mental Health, Vulnerable Adults & Community Care
- Mark has conducted Mental Health Tribunal cases and applications to replace next friend.
Family & Child Care
- Mark is a leading junior in heavy care and finance cases.
- Mark is appointed as the Tribunal Chair of SENTW. He has conducted JR applications in relation to education cases.
- "He has provided a very high level of detailed and reliable service." (Chambers UK, 2022)
- 'Vastly experienced, knowledgeable, personable, and well prepared.’ (Legal 500, 2022)
- Senior junior who is highly regarded for his expertise in both public care and private family work. He draws on experience in a range of serious physical and sexual abuse cases. (Chambers UK, 2021)
- 'He is an exceptional advocate who explains things clearly to clients, showing empathy and patience. In addition, he is thorough and consistently reliable.' (Chambers UK, 2020)
- ‘Experienced in factitious illness and baby-shaking cases.’ (Legal 500, 2018)
- 'He is very good - thorough, prepared and knowledgeable. Brings a great depth of knowledge to any case he is instructed on.' (Chambers UK, 2018)
- 'Experienced in cases involving vulnerable clients'. (Legal 500, 2017)
- 'Senior junior who is highly regarded for his expertise in both public care and private family work. Of late, his caseload has included serious physical and sexual abuse cases. Sources praise him for his manner with vulnerable clients including those with mental health problems.' Strengths: "He is very knowledgeable and able in cases involving complex legal and medical issues, and good in extremely sensitive cross-examinations." (Chambers UK, 2017)
- 'He distils complex legal issues and is always prepared to take time with clients.’ (Legal 500, 2016)
- 'A seasoned senior junior who has a wealth of knowledge across family law. Advises on financial proceedings, including TOLATA cases, and is regularly instructed in care proceedings, representing children and parents.' "He is able to strike good relationships with even the most difficult and passionate clients." "His experience is top-notch and he has an excellent approach." (Chambers UK, 2016)
- 'Recommended for factually and legally complex children work, and high-value finance matters' (Legal 500, 2015)
- 'A family law practitioner with considerable expertise in complex care work and private children law. He has worked on numerous cases with challenging medical aspects, including shaken babies and factitious illnesses. "He is a commanding advocate who is personable and engaging with clients." (Chambers UK, 2015)
- 'Experienced in financial remedy disputes and care cases for local authorities’ (Legal 500, 2014)
- "He is very experienced and committed to the work, and very approachable." (Chambers UK, 2014)
- 'Mark Allen has extensive experience of private family work and local authority care cases. He can handle particularly complex children cases with issues of sexual abuse or medical injury attached to them.' (Chambers UK, 2013)
- 'Of the set's senior juniors, Mark Allen is a popular choice for complicated children cases, often involving mental health issues and instances of shaken baby syndrome' - (Chambers UK, 2012)
- 'Mark Allen is a highly experienced care practitioner with a particular interest in representing children with special educational needs’. - (Chambers UK, 2011)
- 'Currently making a name for himself as an ancillary relief expert'. (Chambers UK, 2009)
- 'A sound practitioner...across a broad range of family law'. (Chambers UK, 2007)
- 'Recommended juniors include Kate Hughes and Mark Allen for children’s cases…’
- '....a strong senior junior - (Legal 500, 2007)
- 'An excellent junior' - (Legal 500, 2006)
- Mark is also listed in the Legal Experts directory as a family law expert