Paul is a member of the Family@30 team. He has been a member of chambers since 1984. His considerable expertise lies in the field of Family and Child Care.
His particular areas of interest in this field are in Children Act matters, both public and private law; and in ancillary relief and matrimonial finance cases. He has dealt with delicate and serious matters including child salt contamination and shaken baby syndrome. He is also known for his skill and expertise in representing children in public law proceedings via their children’s guardian.
Notable and Reported cases
Family & Child Care
- S v B and Newport CC; re K:  1 FLR 1116. Special Guardianship order/Adoption order - avoid skewing familial relationships - Application by maternal grandparents;
- M-J (Adoption Order or Special Guardianship Order) (2007) EWCA Civ 56. 1FLR 691, Court of Appeal: Thorpe, Carnwath and Wall LJJ
- West Glamorgan County Council No.2  1 FLR 407: whether court can make order on long-term future of child in care incompatible with Local Authority plans ;
- Re W  1 FCR 138: threshold criteria-parental concession. Whether hearing on sexual abuse allegations (during supervised contact) should have been directed prior to court accepting parental concessions
Education & Qualification
- Graduated from the University of Wales, University College Cardiff 1976
- Inns of Court School of Law 1976-1977
- ‘His practice includes matrimonial finance and public and private law children work.’ (Legal 500, 2018)
- 'Very experienced across a wide range of childcare matters'. (Legal 500, 2017)
- ‘Knowledgeable in cases involving removal from jurisdiction, care proceedings and financial remedies.’ (Legal 500, 2016)