Claire is a member of both the Criminal Team and Immigration team, having initially specialised in Criminal law following completion of her pupillage in 2000.
She is instructed by both the Prosecution and the Defence in a wide range of cases dealing with serious violent offences, complex dishonesty offences, serious and historic sexual offences and drug conspiracy offences. She has significant experience of high value Proceeds of Crime cases and is often instructed in cases that attract significant media attention.
Claire is a Grade 4 Prosecutor and member of the rape and serious sexual offences panel.
Claire regulary appears in the Immigration & Asylum Chamber, including the Upper Tribunal on cases involving asylum, family and private life claims, EEA regulations and deportation. Given her background in criminal law Claire has a particular expertise in cases involving deportation both in the First Tier tribunal and the Upper tribunal.
Recognised for her thorough preparation and clear, concise and persuasive advocacy within the Court room, she is well known for being approachable both to her professional and lay clients instilling confidence from the outset.
Notable and Reported cases
- R v B (2020) - Junior Counsel for the prosecution in case involving allegation of murder.
- R v C (2014) - Defence counsel for first named defendant on the indictment in an allegation of manslaughter, the case attracted significant press interest.
- R v J (2019) - Successful defence involving doli incapax in relation to serious sexual allegations dating back almost 50 years.
- R v G&G (2018) - Junior counsel for 1st defendant in historic sex case dubbed the "Fred and Rose West of Barry"
- R v H (2016) - Prosecution counsel in this case known as the “Fresher’s week rape”.
- R v H (2015) - Defence Counsel in allegations of rape made by former partner, multiple allegations of violence admitted as ‘background evidence’.
- R v O (2014) - Prosecution Counsel in case alleging multiple rapes of children by a convicted rapist
- R v B (2013) - Prosecution Counsel in case involving allegations of historical sexual abuse. Leave to appeal against conviction granted, conviction upheld by the Court of Appeal
- Operation Hallett - R v C (2015) - Defence counsel for C charged with conspiracy to supply cannabis (186kgs located, 16 defendants)
- Operation Mint - R v M (2015) - Defence Counsel in large scale drugs conspiracy involving cocaine and mephedrone. Complicated Proceeds of Crime Application due to property recovered from the defendant and evidencing legitimate income.
- Operation Kinsfolk - R v Q et al (2010-2015) - Junior Counsel prosecuting on behalf of the Organised Crime Division of the CPS. Multi million pound drugs conspiracy, 11 defendants faced trial, the indictment contained both drugs and money laundering offences. The case also involved allegations of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs to Australia. Sole conduct of the Proceeds of Crime Applications, the value of drugs involved exceeded £10m.
- Operation Denver - R v P (2011) Defence Counsel in drugs conspiracy involving a kilo of heroin being seized from a vehicle in which the defendant was travelling.
- Operation Rebus - R v C (2010) - Defence Counsel in drugs conspiracy.
- Operation Balneation - R v M et al (2008 – 2011) - Junior Counsel prosecuting on behalf of the Organised Crime Division of the CPS. Drugs conspiracy involving Class A and Class B drugs.The Proceeds of Crime applications involved multi million pounds worth of realisable assets.
- R v C (2015) - Defence Counsel for defendant who pleaded guilty to 2 counts of robbery of high street banks at knife point
- R v D&G (2013) - Defence counsel, case involved allegations of robbery in the victims home, one victim left with permanent brain injury, unable to continue work as a General Practitioner
Accredited Pupil Supervisor
Education & Qualification
- Caerleon Comprehensive School
- 1994 – 1997: University of Wales, College Cardiff - LLB Hons. 2:1
- 1998- 1999: Inns of Court School of Law - Bar Vocational Course: 'Very Competent'
- 1999 – 2000: Pupil, Temple Chambers, Cardiff
- 2000 – 2012: Tenant, Temple Chambers, Cardiff
- 2012 – Present: Tenant 30 Park Place, Cardiff
- 'An excellent advocate and very analytical in her approach to cases.' (Legal 500, 2021)
- 'Excellent with clients and a great advocate.’ (Legal 500, 2020)
- ‘She has a meticulous eye for detail.’ (Legal 500, 2018)
- 'An excellent advocate with a systematic approach'. (Legal 500, 2017)
- 'She has recent experience in historical sexual abuse trials'. (Legal 500, 2016)
- 'She is approachable, and has an excellent rapport with clients and instructing solicitors'. (Legal 500, 2015)